Rhododendron Photo Show
Entry Deadline: Sunday, May 9
And the winners are...
Best of Show
Ronan A. Garza-Hillman
Best Blooms (Truss or Spray*)
Winner: Christine Fu
Runner up: Shakti Thompson
Best Foliage or Limbs
Winner: Dennis McKiver
Runner up: Lisa Maria France
Best Macro Shot
Winner: Shakti Thompson
Runner up: Stephen Stolte
Winner: David Caldwell
Runner up: Christine Fu
There were so many stunning entries we had to share just a few more beauties the judges found extraordinary... CLICK HERE to see all of the winners and special mentions in their full glory!
Greg Bean – Wall-worthy
Eric Bruns –Flyin' High
Stephen Stolte – The Catch
Casey Davis – Moonlight Magic
Sheelah Meyer – Astounding Arrangement
Christine Fu – Round of Applause
In lieu of a traditional Rhododendron Show, the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens is hosting a photo competition — the 2021 Rhodo Photo Show — to highlight this season's best rhodie specimens. Fill your feed with cascades of color from the genus Rhododendron... Visit our Facebook album to view the official contest entries. We look forward to sharing your colorful pics #rhodophotoshow!
ENTER THE SHOW
Everyone is welcome to enter their best rhododendron and azalea photos for judging in one of four categories. Revisit your photos from 2021 or snap away as more and more rhodies bloom each day. Winners will be announced on Friday, May 14. The top entries in each category will have their winning image(s) published on the MCBG website, Facebook, and Instagram pages. Winners will also receive a certificate of recognition and a year's membership to the Gardens (MCBG household membership expiring 3/31/22).
ENTRY FORM: "Rhodo Photo Show" Submission (Entry deadline was May 9, 2021)
Please Note – Entry form does not work well with Firefox browser.
- Best Blooms (Truss or Spray*) – Top image including rhododendron or azalea flowers. *A truss is a group or cluster of flowers from a single bud on a single stem. A spray is two or more trusses, each on it’s own stem connected to a common branch.
- Best Foliage or Limbs – Top image prominently featuring the non-flowering parts of rhododendrons or azaleas.
- Best Macro Shot – Top extremely close-up image including the fine details of a rhododendron or azalea.
- Best Scene – Top image of a garden scene or glorious floral arrangement incorporating rhododendrons/azaleas. This is one of the fun favorite categories from the John Druecker Memorial Rhododendron Show.
* Best of Show – Our judges will choose the best overall image from the winners in each of the four categories.
- Anyone may enter up to 2 photographs in one or more of each of the four categories.
- All photos must be taken during the 2021 bloom season.
- All photos must be taken by the applicant or the named individual you are submitting on behalf of.
- MCBG has full permission to share all photo entries (photo credit will be given). MCBG is granted the right to use the images on the MCBG website and social media pages, or other platforms in promotion of this contest or MCBG in general.
- Please include as much information about the pictures as you can including but not limited to: captions, when and where they were taken, names of plants, persons, buildings, and locations that are visible on the images.
Judging: May 10 - May 19
- Larry R. Wagner - Wagner Photo Art
- Jaime Jensen – MCBG Garden Manager, Illustrator, and Muralist
- Ben Nicholson – MCBG Board Member, Treasurer of the Noyo Chapter of the American Rhododendron Society
Winners announced: Week of May 17, 2021
Want to learn loads more about rhododendrons... why not become a member of the Noyo Chapter of the American Rhododendron Society!
Start Date: Tuesday, March 23, 2021
End Date: Sunday, May 9, 2021
Next: Nature Challenge »
« Previous: Wreath Masters 2020