Planting for Pollinators
Saturday, June 4, 2022
from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM in the MCBG Education Center
Join Horticulturist, Mishele Stettenbenz to learn why pollinators are so important and why they need our help. Discover how to promote a healthy environment for pollinators in your own yard. Learn to build a pollinator garden and discover the best native and non-native pollinator plants to grow on the Mendocino Coast. This workshop will consist of a PowerPoint lecture and a brief walk through the Gardens to observe pollinator plants at work.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
I began my professional horticulture career in 2004 with an associate degree in Horticulture. I was working in a garden center before that time which had gotten me totally fascinated with plants. Afterwards, I started a design and maintenance business in Charlotte, NC. In 2008, I found myself in the Bay area and fell in love with an amazing public garden, Filoli. I managed to worm my way into a gardening position there for the next 8 years. From there, I moved to Fort Bragg to work at MCBG. I took a Ca Naturalist class in 2021 that changed my focus from largely ornamental plants to our Ca natives. That is why I am now working for the Mendocino Railway. I am in charge of installing and maintaining a new garden from the depot to the Glen Blair junction that is over 3 miles down the track. My main focus is working with native plant material and my fervent hope is that I'll be able to do something good for the planet in the time I have left here.
- Please come prepared to wear your mask indoors and outdoors when social distancing is not possible.
- The class will include indoor instruction and guided field walks. Be prepared for the weather with appropriate layers.
- We recommend bringing along drinking water, a notebook, and a pen.
Class size is limited! Registration for this workshop must be completed in advance online. Please note, all workshop fees are non-refundable unless the workshop has been canceled or rescheduled by the Gardens.
Non-member Workshop Registration .......................... $30 per participant and includes Gardens admission for the day
Member Workshop Registration ............ $20 per current MCBG Member*
*Hey Members, we have a new ticketing program! To receive your discounted rate for workshop registration (and any other membership discounts) here are the steps you need to take:
- Click the "Member Workshop Registration" link and use the form to verify your membership and apply your discounted rate.
- Input your Membership ID and Last Name. If you do not know your Membership ID you can verify membership using your email address by clicking the blue "Verify with your email address" link to the bottom right of the "Last Name" box
- Once verification is completed, you should see your discounted rates and can complete your workshop registration.
- Then proceed to check out or add other fun things to your cart.
Date: Saturday, June 4, 2022