Rhody's Garden Café Now Hiring!
Rhody's Garden Café at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens serves soups and salads using locally sourced, organic produce and meats when possible — including produce from our own organic demonstration vegetable garden. The Café will also serve drinks, desserts, and daily specials that are innovative and delicious!
We are COVID-savvy! We follow all State, Mendocino County, and CDC requirements to promote a safe workplace and public garden. Come be part of a fun team working in beautiful surroundings.
REPORTS TO: Café Manager
POSITION: Part-time (15-25 hrs/ week) Seasonal (mid-April through mid-September); Salary $19/hr
OVERALL OBJECTIVE: To perform a variety of duties in the kitchen/Café counter to ensure an excellent customer experience.
- Cooperate with all staff and volunteers
- Prepare sandwiches and salads according to recipes as provided by the Manager
- Make coffee and other drinks using specialized equipment and recipes as provided
- Assist with food preparation as required
- Keep service counters clean and fully stocked
- Ensure that all food cabinets are stocked and tidy to deliver a full service, per opening procedures
- Inform Manager of low stock levels
- Assist in the cleaning and clearing of tables with prepared hydrogen peroxide spray
- Wash Dishes with proper techniques, three sink policy
- Ensure the food is served to the correct temperature & portion size
- Clean relevant service, preparation and storage areas using correct chemicals
- All refuse to be removed from the kitchen/Café Counter and put into the correct trash areas, twice daily
- Keep all trash containers in Café free from overflow
- Project a professional image to all internal and external customers, ensuring correct grooming and maintaining proper clothing attire
- Ensure that opening procedures are followed according to opening procedures
- Ensure that the correct closedown procedure is followed, i.e., everything left clean, tidy and secure, ready for the next days’ service, per closing procedures
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Ensure all accidents are recorded in the relevant accident books
- Use the correct handling and lifting procedures as outlined in employee policies
- Keep up to date with all health and safety procedures, completed Food Service Worker certification
- Ensure all tasks are carried out in accordance with the café’s health, hygiene, quality, and safety standards
- Serve all food from the counter using correct tools and presentation techniques
- Should be friendly, approachable, and have a good customer attitude
- Should be personable to deal with customer queries/requests, refer to Manager when in doubt
- Promote customer care through all actions
- Operate cash register, give correct change, complete day-end procedures for cash register and credit card machine
- Keep cash register stocked with adequate change
- Provide cover in the absence of coworkers
- Undergo training courses and attend meetings when necessary
- Be prepared to challenge and change work methods and procedures to ensure the smooth running of the department as instructed by the Café Manager
- Carry out any reasonable management request
- Be available for all Gardens’ fundraising activities
- Other duties and responsibilities as may be required by the Café Manager and/or Executive Director
It is the intention that this job description is seen as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the job holder is accountable. However, the business may change, and the jobholder’s obligations are bound to vary and develop, so the job description should be seen as a guide, not as a permanent, definitive, and exhaustive statement.
TO APPLY: Please submit an Application for Employment (download here), and resume to Café Manager, Hayley Garibaldi, at email@example.com.
« Previous: Horticulturist