We are accepting resumes for an experienced horticultural professional to join the team at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens. The right applicant will have advanced horticultural skills and experience working with and training volunteers and staff.
The horticultural staff at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens (MCBG) provide care and maintenance to a vast array of plant materials. The Horticulturist hired will specifically be responsible for our botanical collections, which may include; but will not be limited to heaths and heathers, conifers, and fuchsias. This position employs high standards of garden maintenance, record keeping, and safety. MCBG includes both designed, cultivated gardens and restoration and management of natural areas. The Horticulturist hired may also have responsibilities related to any or all areas of the garden. This position may require weekend or shift schedules.
Teamwork and flexibility are essential qualities for a successful candidate. This position will be involved in the training of any individuals who participate in the care of the Gardens.
REPORTS TO: Garden Manager
POSITION: This is a full-time, year-round position.
- Advanced knowledge of all forms of maintenance operations: planting, irrigating, weeding, fertilizing, hedging, pruning, aerating, turf renovation, mowing, edging, mulching, soil building, composting, arboriculture, pest control, and propagation
- Advanced horticultural knowledge
- Safely operates and maintains all types of tools and equipment, including mowers, blowers, weed-whips, power hedge shears, gopher traps, and hand tools
- Experience in public gardens
- Appreciation and knowledge of MCBG Collections
- Good record-keeping skills
- Ability to meet goals in a timely manner
- Other tasks may be assigned as necessary
- Incumbent must exemplify a problem-solving attitude that supports MCBG
- Works cooperatively with others as a member of the garden team
- Trains and directs garden volunteers and interns in all forms of horticulture and maintenance operations
- Leads tours and/or makes presentations to visitors
- Able to safely lift and carry 50 lbs, and bend, squat, kneel, reach, walk, and prune for extended periods of time
- Must be willing and physically able to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Occasional work around hazardous materials and equipment
ABOUT MENDOCINO COAST BOTANICAL GARDENS:
The Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens (MCBG) is a nonprofit botanical garden with a unique location on the Pacific Coast. Each year, more than 86,000 people experience the wonder of nature at the Gardens. Display Collections, Taxonomic Collections, and Ecological Conservation Collections are interwoven in a diverse garden exhibit that includes pine forests shrouded in mist, brilliantly colored dahlia and begonia collections, woodlands of rhododendrons magnolias and camellias, a perennial garden that blooms year-round, and dramatic ocean bluffs with crashing waves.
The Gardens' work environment is built on teamwork, making sure our guests have an inspiring experience, and working hard in busy conditions.
TO APPLY please submit a cover letter along with a resume to MCBG Garden Manager, Jaime Jensen at firstname.lastname@example.org.