This is a part-time, seasonal position with the possibility of becoming a year-round position. The Gardener 1 provides general support for garden operations at the 47-acre Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens. Specifically, she/he will be responsible for lawn maintenance, parking, and assisting the gardens as directed. This position employs high standards of horticulture, reliability, and safety. The Gardens includes both designed, cultivated gardens and restoration and management of natural areas. The Gardener 1 may also have responsibilities related to any or all areas of the garden. This position will require weekend or shift schedules.
Reports to: Lead Gardener
- Safely operates and maintains all types of tools and equipment, including mowers, blowers, weed-whips, power hedge shears, gopher traps, and hand tools
- Knowledge of all forms of lawn maintenance operations: planting, irrigating, weeding, fertilizing, aerating, turf renovation, mowing, edging, mulching, soil building, composting, arboriculture, pest control
- Horticultural knowledge of plant material.
- Appreciation for public gardens and horticulture and MCBG Collections
- Ability to meet goals in a timely manner
- Ability to work closely with the public, and help direct parking
- Other tasks may be assigned as necessary
- Incumbent must exemplify a problem-solving attitude that supports MCBG
- Works cooperatively with others as a member of the garden team
- Able to safely, lift, bend, squat, kneel, reach, walk, and prune for extended periods of time
- Must be able to lift and carry 40 lbs. or more
- Must use all appropriate safety precautions when working around hazardous materials or equipment
- Must be willing and physically able to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- 3 years practical experience in care and maintenance of gardens
- California Driver’s License and safe driving record
TO APPLY please submit an Application for Employment along with a resume to Lead Gardener, Jaime Jensen at Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens, 18220 North Highway 1, Fort Bragg, CA 95437 or email to email@example.com.